Sunday, May 25, 2014

Daily HOMILY for May 6, 2014: Tuesday of the 3rd Week of Easter, Cycle A

PODCAST - Press sideways triangle below to listen

or click here if there is no triangle
In 2014, I am facilitating a 12-week interactive online course in contemplative prayer and action for priests with Saint Luke Institute.  Please visit SLIconnect.org to learn more:  https://www.sliconnect.org/product/living-god-program-contemplative-life-2/
Tuesday of the 3rd Week of Easter
Mepkin Abbey
May 6, 2014
CHILDHOOD BREAD ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ø  Seems like only yesterday I was in elementary school and I was running into the house yelling,
Ø  “Mom I’m home … and I’m starved”
Ø  Every Monday & Thursday, it would be the wafting of warm loaves of homemade bread that had my mouth watering as I hit the front steps
GOSPEL BREAD ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ø  My sister, brother and I all ate and had our fill, just as the crowds did in the scene preceding today’s Gospel
Ø  We too were deeply satisfied … and, I might add, we were also starving again before supper
Ø  “Eat this bread and never be hungry” wasn’t in my experience, at least as it seemed on the surface of things
APPLICATION +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ø  For our insatiable hunger to be satisfied – as in “Mom, give us this bread always”
Ø  My mother had to repeat the multiplication of the loaves over and over again
Ø  And, she did every Monday and Thursday
Ø  The days of my mother’s bread baking have long ended, but the hunger within me continues
Ø  As does the multiplication of the loaves
Ø  It continues because my mother’s bread was a sign of something so much deeper
Ø  It was for a love and communion that were deeply satisfying
Ø  A love you could “come home to” anytime
Ø  A love you wanted to come home to
Ø  A love whose only hunger is a desire to become what you have been fed, to satisfy the hunger of others
Ø  And because she is no longer with us, it is a love that is stronger than death itself
CONCLUSION +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ø  I realize now that my mother’s bread was a gift of God straight from heaven
Ø  A gift that makes it easy for me to believe Jesus is the Bread of Life who satisfies our every hunger
Ø  Nourished on it, may we, in countless ways, now give each other and the world this Bread always
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++