Monday, February 04, 2013

Weekly HOMILY for February 3, 2013: 4th Sunday of Ordinary Time, Cycle C -- Growing into God’s Call for Us

PODCAST - Press sideways triangle below to listen 

4th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Cycle C
St. John the Evangelist, Frederick, MD
February 3, 2013

Growing into God’s Call for Us
By (Rev. Msgr.) Nicholas P. Amato


Bonheoffer’s Outer Self and Inner Self

Dietrich Bonhoeffer was a Lutheran pastor and prisoner at Flossenburg Concentration Camp in Bavaria, Germany where the Nazis executed him in 1945.

In a poem written from his prison cell Bonhoeffer speaks of the battle that is being waged within him as he attempts to heed the call of God.

“Who am I? They often tell me I stepped from my cell’s confinement calmly, cheerfully, firmly, like a Squire from his country house.

They tell me I used to speak with my warden freely, friendly and clearly, as though it were mine to command.

They also tell me I bore the days of misfortune equably, smilingly, proudly, like one accustomed to win.

Am I what others tell of me or am I only what I know of myself? That I’m restless, longing and sick … struggling … powerlessly trembling … weary and empty …

Who am I? This (within) or the other (without)?

They mock me, these lonely questions of mine. Whoever I am, you know, O God, I am yours!”

Bonheoffer’s Deepest Self

Bonheoffer’s poem helps us get clear about who we really are.

It sets within us an inner anchor of understanding about who I am (deepest level), in spite of my emotions or feelings (next level), so I can act with calm and understanding as I live each day (top level), no matter what the challenges.

It’s as if there are three levels of awareness for Bonhoeffer: his calm exterior before his Nazis guards, his inner turmoil, and his deepest self that is able to pray, “Whoever I am, you know, O God, I am yours!”

It was this deepest self that knew, no matter what might happen to him or how he felt about his ever-changing circumstances, that he belonged to God and God belonged to him.

Jeremiah’s Empowerment

Jeremiah also knew he belonged to God and God to him and we see it in the opening lines of the first reading where God is speaking: “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I dedicated you, a prophet to the nations I appointed you.”

So at our deepest level of existence we are known, dedicated and appointed by God.

(1) That reality continues no matter what the inner turmoil, no matter what the challenges we face.

(2) But that reality also gives us a ground on which to stand, a place from which to move, move through our emotions and into life-giving choices.

Application

This reality applies to whatever hand life has dealt us.

We may be in a job or career path that we don’t like or find troublesome. Instead of simply reacting without thinking, I can move from my deepest sense of self as knowing how much God loves me and empowers me with my talents and personality traits to deal with the situation.

Or perhaps an illness or tragedy has touched the health of a loved one. Rather than moving from emotions of anger or self-pity, I can come from the assurance that God has dedicated me or given me this particular task of caring for another.

Finally, our family life may be filled with the challenges of raising children, making time for each other, or forgiveness. Rather than a sense of hopelessness and doing nothing, it could be empowering to have the assurance that at our deepest level we were appointed by God to be the parent in this family.

Conclusion

The struggles and conflicts will come for us, just as surely as they came for Dietrich Bonhoeffer and Jeremiah.

The inner turmoil will also be there.

And today we know God’s Word of assurance regarding who we really are. That will serve us well.