Saturday, April 30, 2016

Daily HOMILY for April 27, 2016: Wednesday of the 5th Week of Easter


PODCAST - Press sideways triangle below to listen

5th Wednesday Easter
The Institute
April 27, 2016
A Euonymus vine ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ø  The entire trellised side of the deck of my home contains a luxurious Euonymus vine
Ø  Every fall I dutiful remove all the dead branches and leaves, leaving only the thick brown vines
Ø  With these days of spring and gentle rains the vines are returning and the tiniest of leaves are beginning to appear
Ø  Soon will come the abundance of small white flowers
3 Qualities of the Vine +++++++++++++++++++++++
Ø  The Euonymus vine came to mind as I reflected on today’s Gospel
Ø  Jesus’ words, “Nicholas, I am the vine you are the branches” hit home poignantly
Ø  Through a long winter I was being reborn
Ø  Through my own shortcomings and limitations, I was being revived
Ø  1st the vine perdures the entire year, and it is we who die each year and are reborn each spring
Ø  2nd it isn’t the vine that bears the leaves or the flowers
Ø  It bears the branches, that in turn bear the leaves and flowers
Ø  3rd each new spring is born of the trimming away of the old, the decaying and the dead that for a time were branches, leaves, and flowers of a former time 
CONCLUSION +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ø  All it took was the simple presence of a Euonymus vine on my side deck
Ø  And it spoke to me of the profound impact Christ was making in my life today, in these days of a new springtime
Ø  What was it Jesus said, “Let those who have ears hear?”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No comments:

Post a Comment