Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Daily HOMILY for October 15, 2013: Tuesday of 28th Week in Ordinary Time, Cycle C

PODCAST - Press sideways triangle below to listen


Tuesday of 28th Week OT
St. Luke’s Institute
October 15, 2013
RIGHTEOUSNESS ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ø  St. Paul tells us today that the Gospel is, “The power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes”
Ø  Why does the Gospel have such power? Because in and through the Gospel the righteousness in of God is revealed
Ø  “Righteousness” is the state of our being right with God, that God’s life is being transmitted to me and through me to others
Ø  Righteousness makes the “God-me” relationship “right” and the “me-you” relationship “right”
FROM FAITH TO FAITH +++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ø  Now this righteousness or right-ness, this transfusion of grace, this way (point from heaven to self) to me and this way (point back and forth me to them) me to you, St. Paul says is revealed, “from faith to faith”
Ø  That is, it is revealed, it comes to be known, from one act of faith to the next act of faith
PLUGGED IN AND MOVING OUT ++++++++++++++++++
Ø  To experience righteousness with God simple to understand
Ø  First, I need to be plugged into the source of righteousness, the grace, the real presence of God’s Word, or the Eucharist, or the silence of prayerful presence
Ø  Second, I need to move from those graced moments in faith to act
Ø  Act, in spite of my negative feelings
Ø  Act, when I want to flee
Ø  Act, when it’s the last thing I may want to do
Ø  And as Paul says “From faith to faith” using God’s love of me, Jesus’ forgiveness of me, the Spirit’s abiding empowering presence in me
CONCLUSION +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ø  Living in such a way, the words of St. Paul are most encouraging
Ø  “The one who is righteous by faith, will live”
Ø  The good news is that s/he will not simply live hereafter, but will experience some of that victory in the present moment
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++