Sunday, September 09, 2012

Weekly HOMILY for September 9, 2012: 23th Sunday of Ordinary Time, Cycle B -- Be Opened Inwardly and Outwardly


PODCAST - Press play to listen

23rd Sunday of Ordinary Time, Cycle B
Terranuova Hermitage
September 9, 2012

 

Be Opened Inwardly and Outwardly

By (Rev. Msgr.) Nicholas P. Amato



Heidi’s Parents


Three months ago, at the beginning of June, a friend of mine flew to Denver to officiate at his nephew David’s wedding.

David married a young woman named Heidi.  My friend had met Heidi for the first time on another visit to Denver last October.

Heidi’s mother and father are both deaf.  And their serious hearing impairment also makes it impossible for them to speak clearly.

As I understand it, if we cannot hear ourselves speaking, we cannot speak clearly.  The speech impairment flows from the hearing impairment. If you don’t hear it right you can’t speak it right.

All that said, Heidi’s parents are absolutely delightful people.  They are friendly, jovial, and a pleasure to be with. 


The Deaf and Mute Man


I thought of Heidi’s parents when I read today’s gospel.

In it we find a man who is both deaf and mute.  And notice: Jesus first enables the man to hear and then, after that, to speak. 

If he can hear, then his speaking will flow from what he hears.  And notice also: Jesus heals the man by using, in the English translation, just two words: “Be opened!”

“Be opened!” In opening the man’s ears and mouth, Jesus heals the man physically.

But, as wonderful as this is, the healing is even more than simply a physical healing.  In Jesus’ time, unlike my nephew’s in-laws today, those who were deaf and mute were really cut off from the rest of society.

They were shunned and became very isolated from society.  They were treated as incapable of holding a job or of being with others in any way at all.

They were socially isolated.  And on top of that, they were also perceived as being alienated from God.

Their disability was seen as a punishment for sin.  So Jesus’ healing of this man today is not just physical, but also social and spiritual – that’s how great the healing is!  


“Be Opened!”

Now let’s take this one step farther.

Jesus’ words – “Be opened!” – are also intended for the disciples and for us.  Jesus calls us to “Be opened!”

Recently, I came across a very simple morning prayer.  It is easy to remember.

“Lord, open me: inward to you, outward to others.”  “Lord, open me: inward to you, outward to others.”

Jesus wants us to “Be opened!”   And for that to happen, we need to desire it and ask him to open us.


“Open Us: Inward”

First, we pray: “Lord, open me: inward to you.”

Open me to your presence that is already within me.  You are here, within me, removing my isolation and being my constant companion on my journey of life.

Open me to your strength within me.  You are my empowerment to deal with the everyday stuff of life and you are my refuge when times are really tough.

Open us to your love within me.  You are the outreaching, unconditional love of God for me and the grounding of my self-worth and self-esteem.

And open me to your healing within me.  You, little by little, put together my loose ends, remove my alienation from God and make me a whole and holy person.
    

“Open Us: Outward”

And then, we pray: “Lord, open me: outward to others.”

First open my ears.  Help me to hear the happiness or sadness, the self-confidence or self-doubt of those closest to me.

And then Lord, open my eyes.  Help me to see my spouse’s need for a caring intervention about alcohol or an aging parent’s need for help around the house.

Also Lord, open my mouth.  Help me to speak words of comfort to a neighbor who is grieving or words of challenge to a society in the grip of consumerism.

And Lord, even open my mind.  Help me to examine my judgments about people who look different from me or my prejudice toward immigrants, gays, or whomever. 


Conclusion

Jesus says: “Be opened!”

And we pray: “Lord, open me: inward to you, outward to others.”