Tuesday, September 17, 2019

HOMILY for September 15, 2019: 24th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Cycle C

PODCAST - Press sideways triangle below to listen

24th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Cycle C
Mercy Ridge Hermitage
September 15, 2019

Ways of Being Lost … and Found!
By (Rev. Msgr.) Nicholas P. Amato 

 

 

Seeking What Is Lost


A while back, I seemed to have lost my one and only credit card.

I was at a gas station. When I opened my wallet to get a credit card to pay for the gas, I immediately saw it was gone.

Well, I began pumping the gas and immediately started looking for the missing credit card.  

I took everything out of my wallet and it wasn’t there. I looked in the glove compartment and under the seats of the car and it was nowhere in sight.

When I got back home, I looked all through my study and my bedroom – no credit card!

And then, I tried to get a grip on my anxiety. I asked myself: “When did I last use the credit card?”

I remembered using it the night before when I paid for my share of dinner with friends.

Immediately I called the restaurant and sure enough, they had the card. I had left it on the table after signing the bill. 

Seeking Who Is Lost

The emotion involved in realizing we’ve lost something of value is something we all experience and that experience can help us appreciate today’s Gospel

Jesus tells two stories: the one about a shepherd looking for one lost sheep and the other about a woman looking forlost coin. With these two images of the shepherd and the woman, Jesus is showing us how intense God is in looking for us when we are lost.


God is even more intense than me looking for my credit card! And then, with the images of the lost sheep and lost coin, Jesus shows us that we can be lost in two different ways.

 

Lost: Our Fault 


First, we can be lost like the one sheep.

We can wander off and our being lost is our own fault. So, we can get lost when we stop coming to Mass or stop praying personally outside of Mass and lose our centeredness in God.

We can get lost when we drift into being unfaithful to our major life commitment or vocation – to your marriage or for me to the priesthood. Getting lost in ways like these is what we call sin. 

But even though we get lost in these ways, Jesus is assuring us that God is still there, still loving us and looking for us. God is like the shepherd looking for that one lost sheep.  

In fact, when we are like that one lost sheep, hopefully our conscience will bother us and we will feel guilty. These guilt feelings are really God intensely looking for us and trying to bring us back. 

And, by all means, notice in Jesus’ image that the shepherd does not scold or punish the lost sheep. Instead, he joyfully carries it back to the flock – what a good example this is for how we as a Church are to relate to a lost sheep!

Lost: No Fault

And then we can be lost like the lost coin.

This means that we are lost through no fault of our own. For example, we can feel lost when we are grieving the death of a husband or wife.

Or we can feel lost when we are dealing with depression. When we are lost in ways like these, again God is still there, loving us and wanting to be close to us, even though we may not feel it. 

God is like the woman looking for the one lost coin. Some of our great spiritual teachers have called these experiences dark nights of the soul.  

In these times, we may need to push ourselves to come to Mass or to pray. We may need to push ourselves to stick to our commitments and things of everyday life. 

And we may need to push ourselves to respond to the companionship of family and friends. But, if we hang in there and give God a chance in these ways, we can be found and we can find ourselves once again.    
    

Conclusion


So, a powerful lesson today: 
1.   About God, searching for us when we are lost, and 
-->
2.   About ourselves, the ways we can be lost and how we might respond when that happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment