Monday, November 17, 2014

Daily HOMILY for November 4, 2014: Tuesday of the 31st Week of Ordinary Time


PODCAST - Press sideways triangle below to listen

Tuesday 31st Week OT
St. Luke’s Institute
November 4, 2014
COURAGE TO FOLLOW CHRIST +++++++++++++++++++
Ø  At times I wonder if I have courage 2 follow Christ
Ø  It’s not that I think I’m called 2B a missionary or undertake a dangerous mission as some of U have
Ø  What gives me pause is this: I want 2 have “same attitude” that was in Christ J,
Ø  But I don’t want 2B poor, & I don’t want 2B fearful or apprehensive at thought of being empty
Ø  Nor do I think I’m alone on this
CHRIST’S EMPTYING +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ø  J we heard “didn’t regard equality w/ G something 2B grasped,”
Ø  But we seem to have insatiable need 2 grasp at those things that ennoble our stature
Ø  Everything in us longs 2B in control, feel safe, think well of selves
Ø  & 2 have others think well of us
Ø  This then is R poverty which is different from Jesus’
OUR EMPTYING +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ø  We want 2B powerful & we want G 2B powerful on R behalf
Ø  But central message of this Philippians passage is God doesn’t work that way
Ø  G could’ve healed human sin w/o painful suffering of his Son
Ø  But chose a different way, way of emptiness, poverty, & hiddenness
Ø  He who could’ve overshadowed us w/ power chose way of cross, so that G’s power be manifest thru us
CONCLUSION +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ø  Let’s not forget then, J gave up everything for us
Ø  He submitted even to “death on a cross” & the ultimate, stunning poverty of abasement
Ø  Looking at that cross is best way 2 overcome r fear
Ø  What we most fear might come 2 pass,
Ø  But when it does, R hearts & ears will B open 2 hear invitation 2 that great dinner 2 which, in R frail humanity, we’ve been invited

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++