Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Daily HOMILY for January 29, 2014: Wednesday of the 3rd Week in Ordinary Time, Cycle A

PODCAST - Press sideways triangle below to listen

or click here if there is no triangle
In 2014, I am facilitating a 12-week interactive online course in contemplative prayer and action for priests with Saint Luke Institute.  Please visit SLIconnect.org to learn more:  https://www.sliconnect.org/product/living-god-program-contemplative-life-2/
3rd Wednesday in OT
St. Luke Institute
January 29, 2014
4 MIND STATES +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ø  In praying over today’s Gospel I looked at 4 kinds of earth into which God’s word is planted
Ø  I tried to give them meaning in terms of my own emotional & spiritual life since those are very pertinent to our life here at SLI 
CLOSED MIND ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ø  The 1st is the closed mind
Ø  The “wayside” = narrow footpaths beside the fields
Ø  When seed fell on footpath, couldn’t penetrate soil & remained there in open, 2B devoured by birds
Ø  ~  I’m there when I cannot make connection between claims of Gospel & my own life
Ø  I cannot see how Gospel holds any value for me
CONFUSED MIND ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ø  The 2nd is the confused mind
Ø  Stony places covered by thin layer of soil, common
Ø  Seed cast here germinates & quickly springs into promising plant
Ø  But, w/o depth, sun beats down on tender plant & it withers & dies w/o any fruit
Ø  Me when I’ve an emotional response to Gospel & get caught up am willing 2 give it a try but unwilling 2 nurture insight by sharing in sm grp
CLUTTERED MIND +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ø  The 3rd is the cluttered mind
Ø  Soil like it’s ready to be sown, but roots beneath
Ø  Seed sprouts w/ all other weeds & thorns, choking tender shoots
Ø  It’s me when I want both the benefits of the Gospel while clinging to past life of fantasy
Ø  Best of ambitions can’t survive w/ divided heart
Ø  Often I begin well & think I can court two loves!
CULTIVATED MIND ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ø  In the 4th we have the cultivated mind
Ø  Earth that’s been prepared & cultivated
Ø  The seed has been allowed to be seated deep w/i
Ø  It’s a field that is nurtured and maintained
Ø  It’s here committed to R therapy, working & supporting 1 another
Ø  It’s hearts that challenge, forgive, & nurture
Ø  It’s God’s grace operative & bringing to fruition
CONCLUSION +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ø  G causes believer 2 begin 2 bear fruit 4 glory of G
Ø  Am’t of fruit = work of G’s grace as uses us 4 glory

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++