Thursday, December 16, 2010

WEEKLY HOMILY for December 19, 2010: Fears: What do we do with them?

4th Sunday of Advent, Cycle A
St. Margaret / St. Mark
December 19, 2010

Fears: What do you do with them?
By (Rev. Msgr.) Nicholas P. Amato


MY FEAR

In my last parish, Our Lady of Grace in Parkton, there was a challenge in the design of the roof on the new education center and banquet hall.

The contractor wanted me to go up on the roof with him so that I could see and really understand the issue. Well, I have a fear of unprotected heights like that and this was about the last thing I wanted to do.

But, I did it. I climbed up the ladder against the side of the building and quickly walked up the peak to the middle of the roof and there I literally froze in place.

I was in such a frozen state I wasn’t even able to consider the problem regarding the roof. My fears had closed off all communication, all considerations. All I wanted was a helicopter to drop down a cage and lower me down.

“Father, are you okay? Realizing I wasn’t, he continued, “Father, you’re going to be alright. I’m right here with you” as he moved slowly closer toward me. His word and presence put me at ease, at ease enough to have him relate the roof problem to me.

When I look back at that incident, I realize that what enabled me to deal with my fear of being on the pitched roof was (1) His reassuring word that I would be safe, (2) His physical presence, and (3) My trust in the contractor.

Let me just say, I never intend to go up on the roof of any church or even my own home. I’ll trust the professional so much that I’ll take his word for the condition of any roof.


FEAR IN SCRIPTURE

In today’s gospel, Joseph is also dealing with the fear factor. He is afraid to take Mary as his wife, given the religious and social laws of his day.

Yet, in a dream the angel of the Lord says to him, “Joseph, do not be afraid.”

Joseph is willing to listen to the angel’s (1) Reassuring word that things would work out, (2) To experience his presence in the dream, and (3) To trust in God’s messenger.

With all three, he realizes that God’s assurance is stronger than his fear and Joseph is enabled to take Mary as his wife.

Throughout the Bible, there are many incidents of fear like this and of God’s (1) Reassuring word that things would work out, (2) The experience of God’s presence in some form, and (3) The dramatic act of letting go and simply trusting God.

Granted, the fear may not be completely removed, but it does enable Joseph, Mary, the apostles and many others to act positively.

In fact, Joseph’s trust enables him to cooperate in the birth of Jesus. His trust in the midst of fear makes him an agent in bringing God’s Son into our world.


OUR FEARS

Each of us is afraid; each of us has some fear at some particular moment in life.

And today’s gospel in those moments invites us to respond as Joseph does. It calls us to trust God and, even with our fear, to act in accord with God’s will.

For example, the fear of not being liked by his peers may lead a seventh grader to join in bullying a classmate. In that situation, even a twelve-year-old is being called to trust that God is with him and will take care of him even if he still has some fear.

That trust can lead him to refuse to join in the bullying and maybe even to take up for the kid who is being picked on. And in that way, he cooperates – like Joseph – in bringing God’s love and concern more fully into this world.

Or the example the other day when I was speaking with a young woman, a wife and mother, who is being treated for cancer. We actually talked about having both fear and trust at the same time.

Her faith and trust in God is strengthening her in this ordeal. And in this way she is showing how uniting our suffering to Christ’s suffering makes him more present to others especially for her family and friends.

Or perhaps we have a fear of certain people who are different from us – in today’s climate it may be Arab and Muslim people. Trusting in the Lord, even with our fear, leads us to read, to listen, and to try to understand their life experience and their point of view without labeling someone a terrorist just from their ethnic background.

Reading, listening and trying to understand set the stage for the possibility of reconciliation, harmony, and peace. It again enables God to enter our world more fully and be experienced as the Prince of Peace.


CONCLUSION

Yes, fear is a real-life, human issue.

It pops up often in the Scripture and consistently God calls us not to be afraid. Maybe more precisely, God reassures us that he is Emmanuel – God with us.

God calls us to trust in him even with our fears and not allow those fears to freeze us into a defensive posture. If we are open to God’s grace and presence, then like Joseph we can also be agents for God’s entering our world more fully at this moment in the experience others will have.

No comments:

Post a Comment