Thursday, October 11, 2007

Weekly HOMILY for October 14, 2007: Lepers and Our Lives

28th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Cycle C
Our Lady of Grace
October 14, 2007

Focus: The Scriptures Speak to Us in Specific Ways
Function: To identify with a specific call from God and act on it


Lepers and Our Lives
By (Rev. Msgr.) Nicholas P. Amato

The Homily Defined

Many of you know that I’m teaching homiletics at St. Mary’s Seminary in Roland Park this semester.

After six weeks of classes, I must say how much I enjoy doing it. The men are open and very eager to learn how to become better preachers.

One of the main insights I have tried to convey is that an effective homily is comprised of two critical parts. The first is a good text – that is, a well-prepared script – and the second is a dynamic delivery.

If you have an excellent text and a poor delivery, you’re a dry-as-dust classroom teacher. On the other hand, if you have a poor text and an excellent delivery, you’re only an entertainer.

The goal of the preacher, whatever his style, is to recreate in the hearer the excitement and the discovery that he himself experienced in preparing the presentation.

The homily actually becomes a homily only in the interaction of the preacher with the assembly of believers.

Would you agree? Good!


Nexus

Let me share then the excitement and discoveries I made earlier this week regarding two characters: Naaman the Syrian in the first reading and the Samaritan Leper in the Gospel.

In my praying and reflecting I came to several insights – little “aha!” experiences. And each insight applied to me in some way. Of course, that’s probably why it was an insight.

In the end, I was able to embrace one of them as a very personal invitation from God specifically to me. I was able to see that one of them could contribute to my own transformation.

As I share them, you might label each one in your mind as “high,” “medium,” or “low” for yourself this evening/morning.


Love

Here we go. God’s Word to us today affirms the universal concern that God has for all men and women.

Naaman is a Syrian and the Leper, who returns to Jesus, is a Samaritan, yet both of these whom even Jesus considered foreigners were valued and important to him.

Therefore, we must conclude that all persons, regardless of their nationality, gender or ethnicity, should be of value to us as well.

So who is there that you will not allow into your circle of friends? Or who is that you wouldn’t include on your list of people to admire or praise? Or who is the brunt of jokes you tell or listen to?

God’s love is for all. It’s universal; it’s open to all. And our love, as his disciples, can’t be anything less.

How does this notion of love apply to me? High, medium or low?


Sin

A second insight I had on the readings had to do with the fact that the leprosy of Naaman and the Samaritan serves as an analogy for sin. Like sin, leprosy saps the spirit, wounds the body, and effectively alienates persons from one another and from God.

Healing leprosy, of course, is comparable to the forgiveness of sin and the restoration of life, as well as the reconciliation of persons.

So we ask, “What sin or imperfection do I labor under?” “From whom am I still alienated?” “Have I sought forgiveness?” “Talked to a priest?” “Made an appointment with a counselor?”

How does this notion of sin apply to me? High, medium or low?


Gratitude

A final insight centers on the quality of gratitude that is exhibited by both Naaman and the Samaritan.

One healed by God, the other by Jesus, both return thanks and praise to God.

Notice that through their very giving of gratitude, both begin to believe more deeply. Giving gratitude will do that for us.

In their praying and believing, they offer us, whom God blesses with every good gift, a powerful example.

So what is the quality of my gratitude for the blessing of my family, my job, school, health, or friends? Get the picture?

And how does this notion of gratitude apply to me? High, medium or low?


Conclusion

As I said when I began, the preacher to be successful, whatever his style of delivery, must recreate in the hearer the excitement and the discovery that he himself experienced in preparing the presentation.

The homily this evening/morning truly becomes a homily only in the interaction of my written text with you, the assembly of believers.

So which is it for you: love, sin, or gratitude?

The Word of God has drawn you in and shown you what you must do regarding each.

That, my friend, is not just an insight! No, with it comes God’s grace and God’s presence to you in the Eucharist so that insight can make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment