Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Weekly Message for 7/23/06: Summer Project -- Setting Up a Blog

July 21, 2006

Dear Family,

One of my summer projects is to learn how to set up and manage a blog. And by Jove, I’m well on my way!

As many of you know a blog is a personal way of getting information into cyberspace and being in a more interactive way with others over the material you put there.

At the present time there are 275 of you folks who get this weekly mailing; 25 of you make copies of different parts and share them with others. Another 25 individuals who are homebound get the hard-copy edition. All in all that makes some 325 folks.

Each week six to twelve folks respond to something in the weekly email, usually it is something about the homily, less often in the “This and That.” The weekly message also seems to keep readers in touch with something that may be going on in my parish or personal life.

A blog would give me the opportunity of expanding the circle of readers and responders beyond our present numbers. It would open the material to folks who are just out there blogging. And who knows who’s out there!

I would continue to have the automatic weekly email delivery to each of you, but be able to use the material I create each week in exciting new ways with the use of the blog.

Blogging would also give folks who visit the site a way of posting a comment or question for all others bloggers to see, or listening to the homily if a more dynamic format may help.

While I realize that the new blog could create more “work,” I also think it could be a good effort in evangelization. I’m sure there are already many “pastors of Cyberspace”; I would just be another one offering a Catholic perspective on our faith.

I’ve still got some learning to get under my belt, but I hope to have the blog up and running by September 1st.

Isn’t technology – as long as it’s serving us and we not it – wonderful!

Love,
Father Nick Amato

No comments:

Post a Comment