Tuesday, January 02, 2018

HOMILY for December 25, 2017: The Feast of Christmas, Cycle B


PODCAST - Press sideways triangle below to listen

The Feast of Christmas, Cycle B
Our Lady of Grace
December 25, 2017

Generous Givers: God, Jesus, Us
By (Rev. Msgr.) Nicholas P. Amato


God and Jesus Are Generous Givers

God is a generous giver. He has given us life, relationships within a family, a circle of friends.

He has endowed us with natural gifts and opportunities in which to use them to enhance the lives of others.

He has given us health and the blessings that come with each new day.

Yes, God is a generous giver. In the Gospel of John (3:16) we read, For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Jesus, a most generous gift; Jesus expressing Gods love of us. Could Gods generous love be any clearer than that?

And Jesus too is a generous giver in that he loved us so much that he gave his very life for us!

Think for a moment: Who would you love so much that youd be willing to sacrifice the life of one of your own children, or to offer your own life, to save another person?

Obstacles to Giving

Friends, it is one thing hearing (Point to ear) about this generous love at Christmas time and we hear it every year. Its quite another believing it (Point to forehead). And its still another thing to experience it as real (Point to heart)!

There many obstacles to our being like God in giving generously, obstacles from my own experience that often block my generous giving to others.

May I name a few? Perhaps they are yours as well.

A Me first attitude can certainly be an obstacle to my generosity. In such situations I place myself and my need before yours, and I become so absorbed in meeting my own needs that I am not able even to see your greater need.

Then theres scarcity. Here I think I only have a certain amount of time or money, so I cant stop to talk, to give, to simply be with someone who has need of my presence to him or her.

A popular obstacle to being a generous giver is judging someone as Undeserving of my time, money or attention. With the street person at the city traffic light or the individual begging outside a department store, we think, Im not going to give him a buck, hell just spend it on booze.

A final obstacle to my giving can be my Mistrust. The messages bouncing around in my head are: Ive been taken advantage of before. Im sure to be used by that person; wont appreciated it.

This kind of mind talk has a crippling effect on my ability to give.

At the end of the day, dont we want to be remembered as generous givers? Arent people celebrated for what they have given back?

We know intuitively that there is joy in giving that cannot be replicated in any other exercise. We see it in the smiles of those who receive our unexpected generosity at Christmas and during the year.

So what we have is (1) God and Jesus generous giving against, (2) the joy that our giving can bring us, and (3) the obstacles that impede this flow of love.

Presents versus Presence

In the 12 days of Christmas that begin today, Id like to suggest that you acknowledge the obstacles to generous giving, and break through to giving, not just your presents but your presence to others outside your circle of family and close friends.
   
Three situations over the past two weeks centered around being present to others, making an impact on my giving.
The week before last, it was the elderly man to whom I delivered a package for a friend while I was on my way to a meeting. He said hed love to chat a moment, but I brushed him off because I was on my way to a meeting.

All during the meeting I thought about him, so I circled back after it and sat with him for a while. The gift of my PRESENCE brought a sustained smile on his face and made the effort a joyous one for both of us.

Last Monday, it was the senior whod had eye surgery whom I havent seen for a long time and rather than just giving her a phone call I invited her to join me for the free concert my parish was offering. Picking her up, getting her out of the house and into an atmosphere of Christmas music, became a time of great sharing.

Finally, instead of mailing my sister my usual check for Christmas, I decided to give her an airline ticket and spend a week together.

Conclusion: Growing in Our Presences to Others

Each gift of time, of presence to another, had more to do with my presENCE to an individual rather than with a presENT wrapped up in Christmas paper and a bow.

In Gods generous love, in Jesus self-giving, we see the movement from presENT (Demo a Box) to presENCE (Demo hands back-and-forth). Its the gift of generous love in relationship. Its the gift of myself and being with that person.


Surely there is someone in your life who is (1) elderly, (2) infirm or (3) on the outs in your family who could be the object of your generous giving in these twelve days of Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment