Thursday, June 07, 2012

Weekly SUMMER SNIPPETS for June 10, 2012: "Oh, Just Thinking"


Summer Snippets:
“Oh, Just Thinking!”


He was only 12 and already he knew he was different. He enjoyed sitting in the backyard, gazing into the low-lying brush and tall standing trees, the renovated old farmhouse to his back, the woods before him. After a period of being lost in wonder, his mother, standing on the back porch, would break in, “What are you doing?” “Oh, just thinking,” he’d explain, not able to muster a more adequate explanation of his gazing. “Why don’t you pick up a book and read something? It’ll be good for you” would come the strong appeal. And so it was week after week of interruptions on his gazing.
There are many ways you might introduce yourself to people you are meeting for the first time. Often what is said in your introduction would complement or build on the other people in the group or it would center on why the group is meeting. So perhaps in a new work group you would share some of what you have done before in this regard. At a family reunion you might plug yourself into the family tree in some way, at a convention or other out of town gathering it might be where you live. Would might a priest say to the people in the parish to whom he would be ministering for three months?
I chose the opening incident from my days as a pre-teen because it had helped me understand who I am, gave me an insight into something deep within me I have always known about myself, but was never able to articulate. Second, I have come to realize that it is the same something that is within most folks that they may not have yet understood. What is it? It is the hunger we all have to experience God face-to-face. That desire fuels our efforts to worship, to learn more about God, to be drawn to folks who seem at peace and to be able to move from a deeply anchored center. So my name is Father Nicholas and I would like to introduce myself by saying that every day I have an increasing desire to love God, a desire that came to me when I was 12.
Last Sunday with its coffee and doughnuts after each Mass was a wonderful way for me to meet so many of you as we bid farewell to Father Chuck who left for a three-month sabbatical and to welcome me as the temporary administrator in his absence. Father Chuck and I are good friends and I was honored by his offer to cover the sacramental and pastoral ministry here at St. Francis de Sales until he returns the 1st of September.
A little more of where I have been may be helpful. I was ordained in 1970 and after being both associate pastor at St. Patrick’s Cumberland and chaplain of Bishop Walsh High School, I did graduate work at Boston University and worked in the Department of Education for the Archdiocese for 13 years. With six years as pastor of the Shrine of the Sacred Heart, Mt. Washington, and 15 at Our Lady of Grace, Parkton, I finally retired to lead contemplative retreats for the laity, preach parish missions, and offer days of recollection to individual groups. Two years ago I was invited to become adjunct faculty for the Shalem Institute for Spiritual Formation in Washington, D.C. In that position I am pleased to say that I co-lead a personal spiritual deepening program called “Living in God” for folks who want to experience and live out of a deep relationship with the Lord. That program, by the way, will be offered here at St. Francis DeSales beginning in July, one Saturday morning a month for seven months. More information on this can be found in the bulletin or by emailing me at fathernicholasamato@gmail.com.
A quick note of my place here at St. Francis. While I am “temporary administrator” I really see myself more as sacramental and pastoral care minister. That is only to say that the great pastoral team still remains as administrating programs and services and keeping me on track. If I can be of service to you or your loved ones, please do not hesitate to call upon me. I will also be available to greet and worship with you every weekend over the next three months.
This morning I woke up as I do every day long before sunrise to pray and reflect, sitting at the kitchen window of the rectory, the heavily forested woods lay before me. I heard my mother asking, “Honey, what are you doing?” All I could say in return was, “Mom, from your vantage point in heaven, you have to ask?” Happy gazing to each of you!
Fondly,
Father Nicholas

No comments:

Post a Comment