Thursday, June 28, 2012

Weekly HOMILY for July 2, 2012: 13th Sunday of Ordinary Time, Cycle B -- Fear Is Useless; What Is Needed Is Trust


13th Sunday of Ordinary Time, Cycle B
St. Francis De Sales Parish
July 1, 2012

 

“Fear Is Useless; What Is Needed Is Trust”

By (Rev. Msgr.) Nicholas P. Amato

 


Fear of the Dark


I have a confession to make. When I was a small child I had a terrible fear in going to bed at night that there was someone hiding in my bedroom.

I actually used to have to open and close every draw of my bureau and dresser, check out the closet, and look under the bed before I could go to sleep.

I remember how I believed that I couldn’t share my fear with anyone, not even my parents.

One day my mother came in on me during my regular nightly routine (demonstrate opening and closing drawers) and I had to fess up.

She suggested I close the drawers and hop into bed, so we could have a little chat. I remember it so well. She told me that to be afraid was normal and that most kids my age were afraid of the dark.

She assured me that she was always there in the house with me and that she’d never let anyone into the house at night without my knowing it. I should just trust her to keep me safe.

She then left the room and came back with two items: a little nightlight that she plugged in near my dresser and second, on top of the dresser, she put a picture of her and my father, just in case I woke up and was wondering if anyone else might be hiding in the room.

Her word and her picture to remind me made my darkened bedroom a safe place from that day on. What I learned that day is that fear is irrational and that to overcome it requires assurance and refocusing.


The House of HoHoddFear

In today’s gospel a synagogue official named Jairus asks Jesus to come and heal his daughter.

Some other people from the synagogue then report that the little girl has already died, but Jesus completely disregards the report and says to the official: “Fear is useless. What is needed is trust.”

That’s an important statement: “Fear is useless. What is needed is trust.”

 

We all live with fears: the fear of being rejected by our peers; the fear of aging, of being alone, of not having enough money; the fear of terrorism, rising oil prices, flooding, or a Flu pandemic.

Today’s gospel can help us deal more effectively with whatever fear we can name for ourselves right now.

It has been said that fear has penetrated our inner selves so deeply that it can affect us profoundly.  It can make us upset, anxious, edgy, depressed.

Fear can paralyze us. It can keep us from using our talents or expressing our thoughts.  It can even keep us from living according to what we believe is right and wrong.

 


Moving to the House of Trust


“Fear is useless,” as Jesus says, because it keeps us worrying about something that may not happen – like the stranger in my dresser doors, my closet, or under the bed, or if it does happen – such as a report from my doctor saying I have a serious malady – fear doesn’t help me prepare for that malady in a constructive way.

That’s why fear is “useless.”

We must move – psychologically and spiritually – from living in a “house of fear” to living in a “house of trust.” Remember, that to the statement “Fear is useless” Jesus quickly adds, “what is needed is trust.”

Back to my story: it was the (1) Relationship to my mother, (2) My trust in her words, (3) My visually seeing her photo that all worked together to put me in a different place, in a different house, if you will.

So I would suggest that in Jesus’ words we have a concrete way to deal with all our fears.

The concrete way is summed up in three words: relationship, trust, and seeing.

Relationship with Christ: What is the quality of my relationship with Jesus? Am I linked to him in prayer? Do I pray in good times and in bad? In secure times as well as in times of fear?

Trust in his words: Do I read scripture regularly? Do I listen to the reading of God’s word at Sunday Mass with attentiveness, knowing there is a message there for me? Do I believe that Jesus offers healing to me, as he does to those he encounters in the Gospel?

Seeing him: Do I allow myself to be part of a worshipping community? Am I vested in the life of my parish? Do I do my part in visually seeing myself as a part of the Body of Christ? Do I cultivate friendships with others who believe in Jesus?


A Two-Fold Action

The good news to us today is an insight and an assurance from Jesus himself about all the fears we face.

We will take him at his word, (1) Knowing fear is “useless” and (2) Trusting God with my life and yes, and eventually my death.

No comments:

Post a Comment