Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Daily HOMILY for January 30, 2013: Wednesday of 3rd Week in Ordinary Time, Cycle C

PODCAST - Press sideways triangle below to listen

St. Luke’s Institute
Wednesday of the 3rd Week of Ordinary Time
January 30, 2013
THE PLANTING +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ø  The flowers and plants in my gardens at home thrive, but that wasn’t always the case
Ø  In grade school I was assigned a science project to sprout melon seeds by soaking a strip of cloth, sticking it around a wide mouthed jar and carefully inserting melon seeds between the glass & wet cloth
o   I watched and reported the progress of the seeds as they sprouted and grew up and out of the glass jar
o   Finally, they were ready to be planted outside
o   I was thrilled as I turned in my class report and then planted my young charges outside
THE CALAMITY +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ø  But I was too busy being a 12-year old kid and I didn’t take care of my charges well
Ø  Some sprouts died because I didn’t water them regularly, some were eaten by rabbits because I hadn’t secured the chicken wire
o   Applying parable, I was planted on rocky ground
o   I had the initial excitement and fervor for my class project, but I did not have the wherewithal to bring my plants through to bloom or harvest
THE CURE +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ø  I’ve learned a lot about flowers and plants since then
Ø  Last summer, 60 years after my class project, I found myself sitting and enjoying my beautiful, well-tended flower gardens
Ø  How get to that sense of enjoyment & satisfaction?
o   By learning about how flowers and plants not only grow but thrive
o   By asking people w/ beautiful gardens for their secrets
o   And by being present and attentive to the daily needs of my 3 gardens
MY SPIRITUAL LIFE ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ø  Today I need to tend my spiritual life the same way. I desire to be the rich soil in which God’s Word is planted:
Ø  By engaging myself in the celebration of the Eucharist
Ø  By going to periods of lengthy silence with a love and a desire for God
Ø  By learning from folks who’ve mastered contemplative prayer
o   Jesus assures that a life of union with him has everything to do with how a garden grows
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++