Thursday, February 24, 2011

Weekly HOMILY for February 27, 2011

8th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Cycle A
St. Michael the Archangel Church, Overlea
February 29, 2011

First Things First
By (Rev. Msgr.) Nicholas P. Amato


WORRY

Worry ranks as one of our most uncomfortable emotions, and, with all the things we have to worry about, it is also one of our most constant companions.

The more complex our life becomes and the more responsibilities we have, the more we have to worry about.

It’s not that worry helps us to live more effectively. On the contrary, it drains us of the energy we need to take care of ourselves as we should. But how can we avoid worrying?


JESUS AND WORRY

In the gospel reading today, Jesus tells us bluntly, “Do not worry.” What a beautiful suggestion, and what an achievement, if we could only manage it.

Can he be serious, though, about not being anxious about what we eat, or drink, or wear?

It’s very poetic talking about the birds of the air and the flowers in the field, but aren’t our needs more substantial, significant, and sophisticated than those of birds and flowers?

Is not anxiety a given for anyone trying to live a responsible life in a very worrisome world?

Jesus is not trying to engage us in wishful thinking, however. Nor is he trying to make light of the difficult circumstances of life. What he offers us is a specific formula for reducing worry and anxiety.


REDUCING OUR WORRY

As we pursue our needs in life, Jesus tells us: “Strive first for the Kingdom of God…and all these things will be given to you as well.”

What Jesus is promoting is that we consciously establish our top priorities – something we generally don’t do.

The great benefit of doing this is that it puts things into perspective. What might be a significant cause of anxiety fades in the face of something more pressing.

A mother, for example, trying to help her child through a serious illness may for the time be unconcerned about some bills that need to be paid or an important meeting she needs to attend.

Building the Kingdom was the essence of Jesus’ ministry. Developing a Kingdom mentality was the chief goal of all his preaching; every other objective in life was subservient to the values of the Kingdom.


SETTING THE PRIORITIES

Jesus taught that if we work primarily to make the Kingdom a reality in our lives, everything else would fall into place for us; everything else would automatically become less worrisome, like the mother tending the sick child and the bills to be paid.

The answer to worry, therefore, is to remember and live out of Kingdom values as the most important concerns of our lives. Those values will be the ultimate antidote for anxiety.

For example, if MONEY is my most important concern, any movement in the stock market is going to set my nerves on edge. But if I move to the Kingdom value of “I’ve got what I need” and not grasping after, “I don’t have what I’d like” the anxiety about money is lessened.

If JOB SECURITY is my most important concern, I could move to the Kingdom value of “I’m going to continue to do my best work and pray for the Lord’s strength.” Then when I feel threatened with being laid off or with losing my job, the moorings of my faith and the assurance of God’s presence and care will assist me.

How about the CHILDREN – young or grown? My concern may be the mischief they’re getting into or how them may turn out. Again, move to the Kingdom values of giving them quality time, sharing your values of faith or family, remembering you have 2 ears and only ONE mouth will be ways to decrease the worries that are part of childrearing.

In case I haven’t included everyone, let’s take AGEING and worries associated with the decrease in mobility, energy, and memory. Here the Kingdom values would be deepening your relationship with God and configuring our lives to the life of Jesus especially as he prepared to pass from this world to the Father, both creating less worry and meaningful goals as a I age.


CONCLUSION

Today’s gospel challenges us to consider our priorities, then.

Is what I hold first and foremost giving me the kind of anxious-free life I want? Probably not or I wouldn’t be listening so intently to this homily!

The simple lesson of today’s gospel is: First things first!

“Strive first for the Kingdom” and you get what you need without having to worry about it.

Does that sound like a plan? Amen? Amen!


LAST ANNOUNCEMENT

One final word: I am preaching at all the masses this weekend as a way of introducing myself to the people of St. Michael’s Parish.

Beginning on Wednesday, April 13 and continuing on Thursday and Friday evening of that week I will be offering a parish mission here at St. Michael’s.

It will focus on building a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, one in which you can, with the proper disposition on your part and the grace of God, physically experience Christ face-to-face.

Out of this extraordinary contact you can be transformed in your outlook regarding prayer, relationships, and job. You can have a life lived more tangibly, walking in God’s presence.

I invite you to keep the lucky number 13, April 13, in your memory and I invite you to bring friends and neighbors to this mission. There will be ample reminders in the weekly bulletin in the weeks preceding April 13th.

No comments:

Post a Comment