Thursday, December 21, 2006

Weekly THIS AND THAT for December 25, 2006: The Treasures of Our Heart at Christmas

This and That:
The Treasures of Our Heart at Christmas

Dear Friends and Family,

On behalf of our Pastoral Team and the people of Our Lady of Grace parish, we thank you for worshipping with us on this glorious day and wish you a blessed Christmas and prosperous New Year.

“Prosperous” is the point I want to address for a moment. The treasures that surround us today are of different types or levels. At one level we have the gifts and treasures of our department stores and on-line shopping. At another level, we have the family and friends that surround us around our holiday tables. It’s a third level of treasures, the treasures of our heart, of which I wish to speak.

On December 7th through 10th the drama ministry here at our parish presented four performances of “Treasures of the Heart.” Seventy-four children and youth spoke, sang, and danced to make a point to sell-out crowds each evening: the poor and destitute residents of a Baltimore shelter – the setting of the play – had something to teach us all about those three levels of treasures we long for. Well, read on and you’ll see that maybe not all of us, just most of us “long for.”

The following are just a few of the many emails I received from individuals who attended one of the performances. In them you will see the struggle people go through as they confront the possible treasures they could have within their own heart. Clearly, the play moved beyond stage, scenery, and lighting into the lives of those who witnessed it in any number of ways. We’ll end with a final word from Mary and St. Matthew.

Our sincerest thanks to Mary Miller who wrote, directed and choreographed it, the Production Team who created the environment, and of course the children and youth of our community who delivered the message. How proud we are of you. God bless you all. And to all who joined us for the celebration of Christmas, may you experience these “treasures of the heart” in abundance!

Gratefully,
Father Nick Amato

PS. Production deadlines made it difficult to contact and each person to ask permission to use his/her letter so I chose to drop all the names to safeguard confidentiality.
Dear Father Amato,

I know I am up late, but I am working the night shift tonight. However, before coming to work this evening I had the extreme pleasure of attending the production of “Treasures of the Heart” that was performed at your facility under the direction of Mary Miller.

All I can say is WOW!!! Between the talent and the message, that show was a knockout! The message the audience received was more than inspiring. For many of us, I believe it was life changing. I don’t think I will ever look at a homeless person the same way again. And thanks to Mary Miller, I will never look at death the same way either.

What a blessing it must be for those children to be led by, not only their faith, but the faith of Mary, as well. I wonder if they feel the same way I do when in her presence. I wonder if they too feel as if they are in the presence of a saint.

It was obvious by the lack of hair that she is struggling with her own illness, but that did not stop her from touching the hearts of many. God Bless her, God Bless you and God Bless the Youth Theatre of Northern Baltimore County.


Dear Rev. Msgr. Nicholas Amato,

I have found in my study of religions a common theme. Humility and simplicity are “pleasing to God.” I have had a few chance encounters with people who have honestly acquired the trait of humility. I have encountered many whom I believe try to be humble, but never quite pull it off. The true belief and insight of knowing that we, in the most literal sense, know nothing, is rare. I know nothing, I know nothing, and I know nothing! I believe last evening I met a woman who exemplifies this beautiful trait to perfection. She is someone I’m sure you know well and her name is Mary Miller.

When I exclaimed to her how inspirational I found her musical and the beauty of her talent onstage, she graciously thanked me and then gave all the credit to God. My wife (who is an atheist) replied with something like, “Oh come now, honey, they’re your words, give yourself a pat on the back.” Mary replied with something like, “I will, for taking the time to listen to Him. These really are His words and I am just grateful he chose me to help them be heard.”

This is true humility. A beautiful sight and unfortunately one, my wife does not understand. I am sure it is through your guidance and leadership that she has acquired such a beautiful trait. Congratulations. And congratulations on an incredibly moving, musical. You should take it on tour!!!


Dear Msgr. Nicholas Amato,

I couldn’t go to bed this evening without writing to say how grateful my family and I are for the wonderful musical “Treasures of the Heart.” It was one of the most moving experiences we have experienced in a long time. I have never, I mean never, seen my husband cry in over 20 years of marriage but he cried this evening. We all cried and laughed and had our mouths hanging open in awe at the beauty of the message portrayed in this musical.

And let me say, Mrs. Miller belongs on Broadway; she is absolutely phenomenal. I don’t know how she goes from playing director to playing a very dramatic role in only a few minutes. She has more talent in her little finger than I have in my entire family. When I approached her after the show to complement her on her talent she pointed upward and said that she can’t take the credit because it belongs to God.

What an amazing woman. And the children in the show were just as amazing. I don’t know how she got children to portray such love for faith and God. And you could tell that it wasn’t just acting she really has taught these children to have faith. It was beautiful.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I wasn't in the Christmas spirit before this show, but now it really does feel like Christmas.

God Bless You All.


Dear Rev. Msgr. Nicholas P. Amato,

I don’t know whom to write this to, but I noticed your name at the top of the program and got your email address from the church website. I assumed you should be the person to receive this letter. My name is Sally [name changed] and I’m a teenager like a lot of kids on the stage this weekend. And my mom has cancer. It made me cry to see the woman who played the mother on stage because I am very scared that my mom will die. But it also made me feel better because maybe she will be happy when she does. The woman who played the part of the mother was so believable. I think she really does believe she will be okay if she dies. I don’t really know if I believe in God too much. I kind of do, but I’m not really sure. But it was nice to think that if my mom dies she would be happy.

It was also nice to see someone be okay with cancer. For my mom it is like the devil or a dirty word and she hates it and doesn’t want anyone to know she has it. It’s like she is afraid; if she talks about it, it will become real or something. But this woman was okay. She even did her part with no hair.

I talked to her after the show and, although she was surrounded by people waiting to talk to her, she made me feel like I was the only one there. A lot of adults brush kids off, but she made me feel like what I had to say was important. And she made me feel so much more calm about things with my Mom. Its like she waved a magic wand over me and took some of my hurt away. She made me feel a lot better.

I’m not so mad anymore and I’ve been pretty mad for a long time. I just wanted her to know that I said thank you for helping a stranger feel better about herself and about her mom’s cancer.


Dear Msgr. Amato,

Well, she did it again! Another home run for the Youth Theatre of Northern Baltimore County. After watching the wonderful production of “Godspell” earlier this summer, I made it a point to find out when the youth theatre’s next production was so that I could reserve a few tickets. I actually brought along a few colleagues of mine from the theatre and television industry. Of course, I had to drag them kicking and screaming all the way. The thought of going to a small upstart church community production when you are used to a professional atmosphere can be less than appealing.

Well, let me say, we were all completely floored. We felt like we were sitting in the Lyric. You need to get this company a stage. I mean, “Godspell” is difficult to direct, very difficult. And I mean no disrespect when I say this, but “Treasures of the Heart” must have been a nightmare. Anytime you have more than a dozen people onstage the director’s challenge goes up considerably. And when those actors are young children it goes through the roof.

Ms. Miller managed to handle this challenge very creatively. Between her creative directing and the amazing script and music we were all mesmerized. One of my colleagues didn’t want the show to end which is a huge compliment coming from him. The only change I could see making is providing the audience with tissues as they enter. I was very moved by many of the scenes, but especially the scene between Ms. Miller and one of the young actresses. I lost my mother recently and as far as I’m concerned this scene was a gift from God to me. It helped me heal and for that I am eternally grateful.

We tried to speak with Ms. Miller after the show, but she was surrounded by children of all ages. I can see why they love her so. So instead, I write this letter to you in hopes that you will share it with her and the rest of the company.

Once again I must say BRAVO!!!! And may God bless you all with Ms. Miller’s presence for many years to come.


Dear Father Nick,

I needed to relay to you and have you thank the entire cast and crew of “Treasures of the Heart” for changing an old girl’s life. My best friend runs a Food Bank so you would think I would know plenty about those in need and already be doing my part to help the hungry and homeless. Well, I know about them, but I have certainly not been doing my part. This show has changed me, I hope forever. I’m not sure why it took me this long to “open my eyes” as they said in the show but I’m not going to waste time with that question. Instead I am going to help in whatever way I can.

I have already volunteered 8 hours this week in a shelter and donated a carload of groceries to help the hungry. The kids in the show were right; it feels so good. I feel as if a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

Not only that, but I lost my mother four years ago and have never recovered from it. That is until this past Sunday. The message Mary Miller gave me made me feel as if my mother is happy and content with God. I no longer worry for her. And I am beginning to no longer grieve. Instead I picture her dancing with God.

I’m so grateful, so very grateful. Thanks for teaching an old dog several new tricks. I did convey my thanks to Mary Miller during intermission and she was so warm, gracious, loving, gentle and very humble. I heard someone else say that they are already sewing feathers on her angel wings in heaven and I have to say I agree wholeheartedly. God Bless You All.


… and now a final word from Mary and St. Matthew:

I knew of the plight of the homeless, but in preparing this musical I found something I didn’t quite expect. I found a spirit in the cold among those who will be alone or hungry this Christmas. Though they were without worldly possessions, hungry and sometimes dirty and stricken with illness, there seemed to be a hope, a belief. As one gentleman put it, “They can take away your house, your car and your money, but they can’t take away your spirit and all that lies inside your heart. Things such as faith, reverence, tenderness, humility, love and hope.”

Such simple treasures … faith, reverence, tenderness, humility, love and hope. Not treasures of the earth, but treasures of the heart. As I pondered the gratitude they displayed, I was reminded of words we have all heard before:

“Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you; or thirsty, and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and take you in; or naked and clothe you? Or when did we see you sick or in prison, and come to you? And answering, the King said, “Amen I say to you, as long as you did it for one of these, the least of my brothers or sisters, you did it for me.” Matthew 25:37-39.

No comments:

Post a Comment